Philadelphia Eagles fans, meaningful football is just around the corner, and Eagles training camp 2022 kicks off in less than a week!
On July 26, 2022, rookies and veterans will begin preparing for the season at the NovaCare Complex in Philadelphia, with one practice open to fans in August at Lincoln Financial Field. Soon we’ll discuss multiple position battles, coaching schemes, and hoping our beloved Eagles players don’t succumb to injury.
Fire up the prayer circle, because we’ve made it!
The history & nostalgia of Eagles training camp:
Eagles training camp first began at Albright College in 1968 in Reading and moved to Widener University in Chester in 1979. If you’re my age or older, you’ve probably spent most of your life attending Eagles training camp at Lehigh and West Chester Universities between 1980 and 2012.
When the Chip Kelly era began in 2013, Eagles training camp was moved to the NovaCare Complex in Philadelphia. Although the location of NovaCare and Lincoln Financial Field is much more accessible for fans in the area, most cling to the nostalgia of Lehigh University.
Younger Eagles fans will never experience the simplistic field in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, and having MORE access to the team. The bleachers were closer to the action, players, coaches, and our favorite Eagles writers.
Furthermore, more days at camp were accessible to fans. Since moving to NovaCare, the fans have been able to attend only 1-3 open practices a camp at most.
What happens during the Eagles training camp?
Training camp generally lasts about a month before preseason games begin. The purpose is to prepare players for the season, decide what players fit best in what positions, and for coaches to test their schemes.
- On the first day of training camp veterans and rookies report, and practice begins a day or two later.
- Players who skip training camp unexcused are subject to fines.
- The first days of practice are lighter with lesser contact, and coaches generally phase to full speed with pads after.
- The players go through scrimmages, team meetings, drills, and weight training but players are given mandatory rest days for body recovery.
Teams generally have 1-2 joint practices in a training camp, where they practice against other NFL teams. Training camp ends by phasing into preseason football, where cuts begin to take place to shape the 53-man roster.
Can fans attend the Eagles training camp this year?
Fans can attend the Philadelphia Eagles training camp for ONE practice.
The team will hold a public practice for fans at Lincoln Financial Field on Sunday, August 7th at 7 PM. Tickets are on sale now on Ticketmaster for $10, and proceeds from the open practice will be donated to the Eagles Autism Foundation.
- Tickets are general admission with no assigned seating, and parking will be free for fans that evening.
- Anyone over the age of 2 needs a ticket, with a four-ticket limit per household.
- In addition to seeing veterans and rookies practice, fans will also have the opportunity for player autographs after practice.
- Fans will have the opportunity to get autographs from alumni players as well, and plenty of fun activities will take place.
The family will love the face painting and the chance for photos with the Eagles mascot, Swoop. Sanitize your hands, and don’t forget your clear bags! Masks are not required for fans. With one practice available on the Eagles schedule, fans don’t want to miss out on this opportunity.
With a loaded Eagles roster, the sky is the limit. Which training camp battles are you most excited for, and who are your dark horses to make the roster?